Saturday, September 15, 2012

DIY Baby Shower

Back in May I helped throw a baby shower for a sweet friend of mine who was due to have baby boy Can (pronounced Jon) a month later. I was responsible for decorations which I was delighted to do, when I had my baby shower I came across so many beautiful DIY shower decorations that I couldn't wait to try my hand at them.


Right away I started to sketch ideas (yes I was so excited I sketched out how I envisioned it would look) and went online to find tutorials on how to make the things I had in mind such as banners, pom-poms, diaper cake etc.


I was most looking forward to tackling the hanging pom-poms because I knew they would have the most dramatic impact in the space. Pom-poms are easy to make if you have tissue paper, but where I live tissue paper is not available (*gasp*), so I had to make do with the closest thing available which was crepe paper. It's thicker, more crinkly and doesn't hold folds and creases like tissue paper, but it was all I had to work with.

My first try at making pom-poms
The color options for the paper was limited to the most primary of colors (think a child's first box of crayons) which was a good thing because when H told me her favorite colors were orange and blue I didn't have to spend hours going back and forth between what shades of orange went with what shades of blue. The decision was already made for me - there were only two shades of blue, one intense orange-red and some white to balance the orange, sold! I never left a store so quickly in my life lol.


With the leftover crepe paper I made two smaller pom-poms, taped them to some wood dowels I had leftover from an old project and put them in some extra white vases I had laying around.

Voila, DIY floral arrangement
I also used the extra paper to make baby onesie banners. I folded the paper in half, cut out a shape of a onesie making sure to leave the top shoulder part uncut so I could just hang the onesie over a string of ribbon instead of taping or glueing it to the string. This saved me a suprising amount of time and I love the 2D look of it. For Can's name I printed the letters, cut them in a circle and taped them on the banner.

It's a boy! Welcome Can!
No baby shower is complete without a diaper cake and H's shower was certainly no exception. I've seen the playful type of diaper cakes that are overflowing with toys and gifts but I wanted this one to resemble a real cake so I stuffed the gifts in the inside centers of the cake and kept the outside clean and simple with just ribbon details. I was so amused when guests walked into the shower and thought it was a real cake lol.

My first diaper cake





Found the perfect cake topper - it's a shampoo bottle!
 

I didn't know if I would have time to take decent pictures of everything set up at the shower, in fact I hadn't even been to the location prior so I had no idea how everything would look in its actual space. So for the blog I decided to take pictures of everything set up in my home before heading to the location. Thus the pictures I'm sharing are of just the decoration and other small things I prepared for the special day like the cupcakes and toppers.

I printed the toppers on cardstock and cut them to shape.
 


I was also in charge of baby shower games so if you're wondering what the jars of baby food are for, it's props for the games, we're not feeding guests with baby food lol.


That concludes my baby shower post. Check back soon because I plan on sharing tutorials for the banners and diaper cake.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great ideas. I am busy planning my sister-in-laws shower at the moment. I love the diaper cake and onsie cut-outs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has given me that thing which I never expect to get from all over the websites. Nice post guys!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...